jump to navigation



white pages leesburg va

white pages leesburg va – A Walking

A Walking Tour of Leesburg, Virginia (Look Up, America!)
A Walking Tour of Leesburg, Virginia (Look Up, America!)
There is no better way to see America than on foot. And there is no better way to appreciate what you are looking at than with a walking tour. Whether you are preparing for a road trip or just out to look at your own town in a new way.

Each walking tour describes historical and architectural landmarks and provides pictures to help out when those pesky street addresses are missing. Every tour also includes a quick primer on identifying architectural styles seen on American streets.

Leesburg has always been a crossroads town; today it is US Highway 15 running north-south and Virginia Highway 7 running east-west. In Colonial times those routes were known as the Carolina Road and the Potomac Ridge Road. In 1757 the Virginia Assembly designated the small settlement at the crossroads for the seat of its new Loudoun County. The land at that time was owned by Nicholas Minor and he knew how to take advantage of his political windfall. He had his 60 acres platted into 70 lots which he began selling for £3 with the provision that a brick, stone or wood house be constructed within three years or the property would revert back to Minor. Thus was a town built.

Minor called his utopia George Town but the King’s name was jettisoned the following year in favor of the Lee family, whose members Philip Ludwell Lee and Francis Lightfoot Lee were town trustees responsible for regulating building in the town. By the time of the Revolution had grown to nearly 500 residents. In addition to court business, Leesburg developed into a market town for farmers looking to move goods out of the Shenandoah Valley. The opening of the Leesburg Turnpike in 1820 accelerated that trade.

Leesburg was visited early by the Civil War when on October 21, 1861, a Union force of 1,000 crossed the Potomac River at Ball’s Bluff and met one of the North’s first disasters of the conflict. Oregon senator Edward Baker, a close personal friend of Abraham Lincoln, led his command foolishly under the bluffs controlled by Confederate troops. Rifle fire from above killed Baker and half his force, many of whom were trapped between rifle fire and unscalable cliffs. Others drowned and their bodies floated down the river to Washington. Union prisoners were held on the courthouse lawn, and wounded from both sides were placed in homes and public buildings. The Battle of Ball’s Bluff was the largest battle of the war fought in Loudoun County but settled nothing. By war’s end, Leesburg changed hands about 150 times over the course of the war.

After the war Leesburg’s proximity to Washington and northern markets enabled it to find its antebellum prosperity with alacrity. Farmers were soon moving corn and milk and beef on the railroad that resumed operation in 1867. Soon that railroad was running commuter trains to Washington and in 1920 the electric express Washington-Leesburg Limited clicked along between the towns at a remarkable 26 mph.

With Leesburg’s suburban expansion gobbling up land in the mid-20th century the Town Council established the Old and Historic District in 1963, only the fifth such district to be created in Virginia (after Alexandria, Richmond, Charlottesville, and Williamsburg). Our explorations will follow the brick sidewalks of the historic district and we’ll begin on the outskirts of town where one of Leesburg’s most famous native sons in honored…

Tim Kaine / Obama Town Hall – Leesburg, VA

Tim Kaine / Obama Town Hall - Leesburg, VA
Tim Kaine / Obama Town Hall – Leesburg, VA in Aug08

Tim Kaine / Obama Town Hall i thomas balch Libr- Leesburg, VA in Aug08

Tim Kaine / Obama Town Hall i Thomas Balch Library- Leesburg, VA in Aug08

Tim Kaine / Obama Town Hall – Leesburg, VA

Tim Kaine / Obama Town Hall – Leesburg, VA

chair on porch – Leesburg VA

chair on porch - Leesburg VA
Taken during Photowalk 2010 in Leesburg July 24th.

white pages leesburg va

Stitches in Time (Georgetown)
When an antique bridal quilt appears under mysterious circumstances at the vintage clothing shop where Rachel Grant works, she is fascinated. She has never been able to resist handmade textiles from the past, for she believes that through the ages, women wove protective magic into their fabrics in order to mark the important events of their lives: birth, marriage, and death.
But there is more than good in the quilt’s magic power. Day by day Rachel sees and feels the power growing, as she senses the quilt influencing her thoughts and actions. Much as Rachel’s logical mind longs to deny the supernatural, the aura of evil coming from the quilt is terrifyingly real, and it seems to carry a sinister legacy into the lives of the people Rachel loves.